Medicine Hat Minute: Canada Day, Community Grants, and a Disbanded Development Agency
Medicine Hat Minute - Your weekly one-minute summary of Medicine Hat politics
This Week In Medicine Hat:
- With summer underway, it's not going to be a very busy week at City Hall with only one meeting scheduled, a Regular City Council Meeting starting today at 6:30 pm.
- An Energy and Infrastructure Committee Meeting which was planned for Thursday has been cancelled.
- With restrictions finally lifted and restaurants and patios back in full swing, will you be getting out to your favourite pub and enjoying a cold one? If you're staying in, please make sure not to light any fires, including fire pits and charcoal barbeques, as - for the first time in 15 years - Medicine Hat has a fire ban in effect.
Last Week In Medicine Hat:
- We hope you had a great Canada Day. It was hot. Really hot!
- The Community Foundation of Southeastern Alberta gave out two $25,000 grants funded by its Smart and Caring Community Grant. The first was given to Cycling Without Age while the second went to Our Collective Journey's recovery coach program.
- The City Centre Development Agency was officially disbanded last week. It was also announced that the remaining assets of the Agency will be used to create a legacy fund for downtown business owners to improve their properties. While we'd normally see assets or cash returned to taxpayers when an agency shuts down, in this case, it sounds like there was so little left that the administrative costs of doing so would probably have been higher than what is left anyway.
Common Sense Medicine Hat doesn't accept any government funding and never will. We think you should be free to choose, for yourself, which organizations to support. If you're in a position to contribute financially, you can make a donation here.
If you're not in a position to donate, we understand, but if you appreciate our work, you can help by spreading our message. Please email this post to your friends, share it on Facebook or Twitter, and help make sure every Hatter knows what's really going on at City Hall.